Pages

Is Trevor Noah Jewish?

Trevor Noah, the comedian who will replace Jon Stewart on the Daily Show, is partially Jewish. Trevor Noah's mother is half Jewish.

In an interview he disclosed that his mom is half Jewish:

Your influences have been broad — your dad is a white European, your mum a black South African. Does that help a broad view?
Oh, definitely. My mum doesn’t fit into any category, she’s a black South African woman who’s half Jewish. I’ve never known myself or my world to be contained within one specific set of parameters, so I’ve gone with the flow. And if I like something I just like it. So I watch Star Wars, I listen to hip hop, and I really like classical music and yet at the same time, I also enjoy really cheesy kung-fu movies. I just like what I like.

According to Wikipedia, Noah's mother, Patricia, is a black South African (Xhosa), and his father, Robert Noah, is white (of Swiss-German descent). He has also said, "My mum doesn't fit into any category, she's a black South African woman who's half Jewish". His parents' relationship was illegal at the time of his birth, and his mother was jailed and fined by the South African government. His mixed-race heritage, his experiences growing up in a Soweto township, and his observations about race and ethnicity are leading themes in his comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. **Please no hateful comments!!! If you post a comment that is considered hate speech or anti-Semitism, you're only wasting your own time as it will not be approved by the moderator (and therefore no one will ever see it).